Wednesday 25 April 2007

Kryptonite Discovered In Mine

Kryptonite, which robbed Superman of his powers, is no longer the stuff of comic books and films. A new mineral matching its unique chemistry has been identified in a mine in Serbia. It's not green and it doesn't glow either. The real mineral is white and harmless.

The new mineral will not be called Kryptonite. It will be formally named Jadarite when it is described in the European Journal of Mineralogy later this year. Jadar is the name of the place where the Serbian mine is located.

3 comment(s):

Call me Maniac said...

I've seen this mentioned on the news pretty much verbatim to this blog entry. I have some questions, though. If it's not called Kryptonite and it doesn't glow and it's not green, then how is it connected to a comic book character anymore than the tissue paper I just blew my nose into?

Anonymous said...

The mineral's chemical formula matches that for the rock described in Superman.

The new mineral does not contain fluorine but in all other respects, it matches Kryptonite.

Call me Maniac said...

Thanks. Yeh, I did do some more reading and found out -- something I should have done before posting. I didn't know that there was an actual "formula" for Kryptonite in the comic.