Thursday 8 May 2014

Guys And Dolls: Veteran Toy Designer Wrestles With The Industry's Gender Divide

image credit

Walking through most toy stores, it's easy to see the divide that permeates the industry - boys get car, sports, and building toys, while girls get princess, dress-up, and housework toys. By the time kids can speak, most are asking for playthings that correlate closely with socialized clichés, shaping their sense of self and further enforcing these stereotypes.

Why are children’s toys still so strictly gendered? Collectors Weekly spoke with Stefanie Eskander, who has worked as a designer at companies like Mattel and Hasbro for more than 30 years, about the complicated relationship between gender norms and children's playthings.

(thanks Hunter)

1 comment(s):

Anonymous said...

I'm proud to say that when I raised by daughter and son I didn't force any stereo types on either one of them. My daughter wore oshkosk b'gosh overalls for a good portion of her young years. I never cared one whit for dolls when I was growing up, preferring army men and trucks, chemistry sets, etc. Glad to say my daughter has a master's in chemistry and is a high school science teacher. She was also a Detroit Roller Derby girl! Pink? What is 'pink'?