Wednesday 2 November 2011

Milk In Bags, Eh?

Apparently, in Canada they drink their milk out of bags. Sheryl Ng explains.



YouTube link

(via Nag on the Lake)

13 comment(s):

Dave said...

So...instead of *one* plastic ( and recyclable) container (like in the States), Canadians use a plastic bag in a plastic jug (*two* plastic containers) for their milk? Yeah, I can see how that would be "better for the environment". SMH

chris said...

I kinda like, don't want, like, someone that speaks like, like that talk about like Canada.

Yes, we do have milk in bags - not really sure why, but it's been that way since I've grown up. Containers are easier and are less packaging - plus I've had many bags leak or have been broken when I've bought them - quite messy.

Anyway, great site!! Keep up the great work - Chris in Canada

purecanucks said...

I don't believe that milk in bags are nation wide in Canada. While we here in Ontario have them, I recall that Alberta uses jugs. It might be a regional thing?

Also, we are not all valley girls here.

kdub_nyc said...

Bleah, for some reason this strikes me, an American, as totally gross. Also, how do you pronounce the name Ng? I've always wondered and hoped she'd say her name.

Anonymous said...

Mammary Glands (breasts) are the original source of milk. Breast are essentially "bags". You've been drinking it that way since you were born. (If your mother bottle-fed you, then you missed out of the real deal :(

Anonymous said...

Would it be so hard to drain the thing into a container? The IV drip is not a great look for the table.

Anonymous said...

I thought it was informative and she was pleasant. I didn't know this information before and now I do.

Ng is pronounced "ing" I believe.

Brian K said...

Well gosh, I'm just totally ready for the milk bag revolution here in the states now.

Anonymous said...

You can buy milk in bags at ANY kwik trip that I have been to... yup, right here in America... however, I buy the jug not the carton or bag.

mister anchovy said...

When I was a kid, we had milk in bottles in Ontario, then plastic jugs or cartons and at some point bags were introduced and predominate these days. I don't know the reasoning but I bet it has to do with cost. The little cutter for the bag corners is magnetic and lives stuck to the fridge. Everybody has one. You need one too, Presurfer.

Anonymous said...

That's funny. The same thing was used a long time ago in the eastern germany (before the fall of the wall): http://www.thom-blog.de/Wordpress/archives/843
I haven't seen them since 1990, I guess.

In shops you would have big buckets full of these milk bags and you could just take them out (no second bag). One of the bags in the buckets was always leaky. It was near impossible to tell which one was good and you always ended up with a leaky one.

Wizard said...

This clearly falls under the catagory of "Who flipping cares???"

Noumenon said...

Kwik Trip gas sells these bags (in Wisconsin, near Madison). They're cheaper than the regular containers, so I buy them. Those bags are opaque. Never had any trouble with spills.

What I think is weird is Europeans drinking juice (and I think milk too, sometimes) out of a box.