Thursday 26 July 2007

Oscar The Cat Predicts Patients' Deaths

Oscar is a hospice cat at the Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Providence, Rhode Island. Oscar seems to have an uncanny knack for predicting when nursing home patients are going to die, by curling up next to them during their final hours.

His accuracy, observed in 25 cases, has led the staff to call family members once he has chosen someone. It usually means they have less than four hours to live.

According to Dr. David Dosa, many family members take some solace from it. They appreciate the companionship that the cat provides for their dying loved one.

7 comment(s):

Anonymous said...

I think the reason is he causes the deaths. Many people are allergic to cats.

Anonymous said...

I would think he's more of a jinx...just saying.

Anonymous said...

My mother died in 2005, just before her final breath, her cat who always slept with her, let out a loud and long meow. we we also told by the Hospice nurse that this might happen as they have seen this many times.

Anonymous said...

I wonder, have the patients been told about this? so do they know, when the cat comes and curls up next to them, it means they are going to die?

Arevanye said...

I saw an interview of one of the residents at the nursing home and yes, they do know about the cat's abilities. He said the cat visited him that day, but only stayed for a couple of minutes, so he was feeling pretty good!

Anonymous said...

Presumably, the body goes through chemical changes and decomposes. The cat can sense this. If dogs are used to detect epilepsy/seizures, then why not this?

Anonymous said...

If it was me and I saw the cat curl up next to me, I'd push it off the bed and tell it to shove off!