In 1938, with the outbreak of World War II on the horizon, Sir John Anderson was placed in charge of air-raid preparations in Britain. He commissioned engineers to design a cheap and simple shelter which could be distributed to the population.
Six feet tall, 6.5 feet long, and 4.5 feet wide, the corrugated metal shelters were a snug fit for a family of six. They were buried four feet under the owners' yards, their arched roofs covered with a layer of soil. Many chose to incorporate the shelters into their gardens, planting vegetables and flowers on top of them.