Thursday 4 December 2014

29 Disgusting Vintage Food Advertisements

image credit: John Lester

Nowadays when we look at food advertisements, we don't take a second thought as to whether the foods looks eatable or appetizing . But in the past it was a different story. They had some very weird (and gross) ideas about what made food look good.

This collection of 29 Disgusting Vintage Food Advertisements are mostly from the 50's and 60's. It's amazing how far food advertisements have come in terms of the presentation of food.

3 comment(s):

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'm missing something, but what makes these look unappetizing to me is the simple 2-3 color print reproduction, which makes everything look like crap.

Looks like what you'd expect to get when a marketing team, who know nothing about food, was tasked with coming up with 'ideas'. :)

I doubt most of these taste all that bad, but I've never once had the urge to embed vegetables in Jello.

Anonymous said...

I must remember to thank my mum and dad for never, ever serving those recipes to me and my brother. We never ate jello, never were given tuna noodle casserole or any kind of casserole, for that matter, never ate any canned veggies, never had spam or other tinned meats. These recipes look ghastly.
Thanks, folks, for insisting on using only fresh or frozen veggies and real, identifiable meat products for our meals.

Anonymous said...

It is quite sad the very last one with the green beans and the durkee onions is a staple at every Thanksgiving or Christmas. I really do not like it, yet it is at every dinner table I have ever sat at. Yuck.