Monday 11 June 2012

My New iPad


My first computer was a Vic20, followed by a Commodore 64, an then some Amiga's. Since then I'm addicted to computers with a Windows operating system. I never thought I would one day buy an Apple product. But last week I did. As a present to myself - to cheer myself up after the surgery I had 2 weeks ago - I bought the new iPad with the Retina display.

I got interested because there are so many fantastic apps available but there are thousands of them and I don't have the time to browse them all. Here's where you can help me. What are - in your opinion - the best apps for the new iPad?

17 comment(s):

Unknown said...

I love my iPad!
My hubby bought it for me as birthday present.
The most important app for me is iBook! I read a lot on my iPad.

Paulo Moreira said...

Congrats Gerard and my wishes for a quick recovery!

For the iPad, i just love the Books app, Flipboard, Zite, Currents and obviously some games to kill some time!
And this is just to mention a few...

Tom G. (Maryland) said...

I haven't mastered using the iPad myself yet, but I have found these apps most useful:

Penultimate
Netflix
Kindle
Audible
Dropbox

Anonymous said...

Flipboard! Then, you can get the blog ready for a Flipboard feed.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, PrinterPro is useful too.

drgeo said...

You can group apps together into a box by dragging them into each other. I have an "airport" box useful for trips (or for when a flight gets cancelled).
FlightTrack and Tripit monitors my itnerary and announces flight changes
GateGuru helps me with airport layouts, Seatguru helps pick seats
Kayak or Bing Travel help compare/choose a flight, then I order the seats via the airline web site
Priceline and Better Bidding help find a hotel if the next plane is a long time away
Angry Birds help wile away time

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you can get it, but for my Droid I have "Talk to Me Cloud". It's an instant translator with many languages and spoken pronunciation.
I love it.

qqqing

Anonymous said...

Spellekes
Cargo-bot (free game)
Contre jour
Machinarium

Reizen
Jourist vertaalgids (standaardzinnetjes uitgesproken naar veel talen)

Tv
Uitzendinggemist
Rtl gemist

msakiya said...

Flipboard

Arevanye said...

Hope you're feeling better Gerard! Husband has the new iPad in our house - he loves Flipboard.

Bast said...

Hi Gerald!

You can't go wrong with:

Buzz Player (plays all kinds of video formats and subtitles)

Good Reader (super for reading pdfs and other formats)

and for fun:

W.E.L.D.E.R. (a word game)

I hope you love your iPad as much as I love mine.

All my best (and hope you're recovering quickly and well)!

Ursa ~ said...

You have to have Angry Birds ~

drgeo said...

They announced yesterday that Siri is coming to iPad this Fall with ios 6, so you could ask her!

Peter Marmorek said...

If you enjoy the outdoors, Star Walk and iBird are two that will blow your friends' minds. With Star Walk you hold the iPad up against the night sky, and it identifies the stars and constellations in the direction it's facing. (You can use it during the day, but it's much less impressive.)

Karl Plesz said...

My iPad recommendations are:
Kindle for books; Yelp for restaurant ratings; Star Walk for help with stargazing; TeamViewer to remotely view (and use) what's on your Windows computer; Bebot and Bloom for some music fun.

len said...

Let's see…

Instapaper for time-shifting your reading
OmniFocus for task management
Dropbox and GoodReader for file management
TextExpander for text snippets
1Password for password management
Byword for writing
Paper for drawing
Tweetbot for Twitter
Snapseed for photo manipulation
Flipboard for reading blogs and content

Anonymous said...

My suggestion: There are so many apps other there, let other sites sort through the apps :) And you don't need pay for trying some of them out. (Cause you never know how good/bad the apps are) http://appadvice.com/appnn/tag/appsgonefree

Btw, you have an awesome site!