Wednesday 12 October 2011

Ghost Hosts Of The UK And The US

image credit

A haunted house is a house or other building often perceived as being inhabited by disembodied spirits of the deceased who may have been former residents or were familiar with the property.

Supernatural activity inside homes is said to be mainly associated with violent or tragic events in the building's past such as murder, accidental death, or suicide. For some reason, Great Britain has more than its share of mansions, estates, and old homes that are reported to be haunted.

(via Neatorama)

3 comment(s):

soubriquet said...

The house in the picture is East Riddlesden Hall, I live about 20 miles away. Back in the 1980s, I was visiting there with a girlfriend. we'd just gone up the stairs when she suddenly stopped and said "We have to go... get me out of here!"
I turned to her, to make a joke, but her face was white, she was shaking, terrified.
When we got outside, she wouldn't stop until she was outside the gates, wouldn't turn, or look back.
All she could say to explain was that when she stepped off the top stair, she was suddenly filled with fear, and flt she was being told with great anger to leave at once.
She didn't see anything, hear any voice, just knew she was being told to get out.

She was not a person who was superstitious, had no history of panic attacks, but she was truly terrified, cold, shaking, wide-eyed.

I can't explain it either. Nothing threatened me, nothing scared me, other than seeing my girlfriend so scared.

Gerard said...

Thanks soubriquet for that story.

Gareth said...

I've visited many famous haunted houses, and other supposed haunted locations. I've even stayed overnight in some of them. In all that time I've never encountered anything "spooky" or that suggested the existence of ghosts.

I know this doesn't prove anything any more than any of the stories told by people in support of the existence of ghosts. However, I do find that the more sceptical side of the story is seldom told.

I started these visits with an open mind, but has time went on I became increasingly sceptical. Mainly, I suspect, because most of the "ghost hunters" I spent time with were so keen to prove the existence of ghosts and would take every slightest occurrence as conclusive proof of a haunting. For example, these people would consider either a rise or fall in temperature as evidence of a haunting.