Monday 4 July 2011

The Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative


The Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative is a grassroots charity whose mission is to raise awareness and fund research. The AAQI auctions and sells donated quilts, and sponsors a nationally touring exhibit of quilts about Alzheimer's.

The Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative has raised more than $552,000 since January 2006. Ami Simms of Flint, Michigan is the founder and executive director of the AAQI, a nonprofit operated entirely by volunteers.

7 comment(s):

Ami Simms said...

Thank you so much for helping us fight this awful disease! We are most grateful!

Diane said...

You know that feeling when you or a loved one is faced with an insurmountable wall? For me, that wall is Alzheimer's dementia. No cure. Spit in the wind treatments that work for a short time only. Inevitable death. Fear, rage, helplessness . . .

Well, the AAQI gave me something to hang on to, something to do, a way I could help. If not my Dad, then others currently stricken and future generations. I quilt and I donate time and energy and it helps. If you quilt, join us! If you don't quilt, help spread the word, donate what you can, buy quilts.

Fannie said...

Thanks so much for your blog post and for your support. We're all trying to make a difference one dollar, one quilt at a time. Thank you, Gerard.

gousley said...

As one of many supporters of the AAQI, I would like to thank you for your post. The more you help spread the word, the more we will have for research!! Let's beat this thing!

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Gerard, Just wanted to tell you how much I appreciate your post about AAQI. As one who has watched a loved one deteriorate with Alzheimer's disease, I am grateful for Ami Simms and her faithful work to support research for a cure. Many thanks to you for letting others know about AAQI and its mission.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for helping to place the spotlight on our little organization. We are fighting this disease as best we can, by making small quilts, buying small quilts and getting the word out. Amazing things have already happened, and I know that even more amazing things are coming! AAQI is totally run by volunteers so that every available dollar can be used to fight this disease through research.

quiltndj said...

Thanks for your post. It means a lot to know that information about AAQI will reach more people. I love making the little quilts that are sold to raise funds. I know that the money raised is going to research to fight Alzheimers. It is a win-win. I get to do something I love and help the cause at the same time.