Thursday 2 June 2011

A Note From Your Editor

Lately I've received several emails of Presurfer readers who told me they were concerned about the links and pictures on the right-hand side. They found them offensive and not up to the standard they were used to. They said the links sometimes pointed to sites with questionable content. Although these links got me as much as 50,000 visitors last year, I decided to look into this matter.

Although I'm not offended by these links myself, I can understand the worries of some of my readers. Especially since this is a site for all ages. The opinion of my readers is important. I'm having a lot of fun 'making' The Presurfer. But I don't do it just for myself. The recognition of people who take the time to read The Presurfer is much more important.

And I have to agree, more and more the links did indeed point to questionable content. Therefore, I have decided to remove these links and pictures.

27 comment(s):

Bogdan said...

It's a wise decision, and I'm sure in the long run it will pay off better than using a tool that some people perceive as questionable (irrespective of whether it actually is or not).

Myself, I stopped clicking on that thing because sometimes the pics were misleading, and all the time it was annoying since I had to jump through hoops before reaching the content I expected (and which, more often than not, I was only marginally curious about). Also, even when I did click on stuff that I was curious about, and even if I did find what I was looking for, I never became a regular reader on any of the other blogs -- if my behavior is anything to go by, the vast majority of those 50,000 people you mentioned were probably doing the same. And that's not real readership, so it's probably not such a big loss after all.

Unknown said...

Excellent decision.

It was a bad company to keep. I hope you get the much better partnerships you've earned, both in terms of viewers and income possibilities.

David Griner said...

Thanks for this, Gerard. I never complained, but it has always struck me as an awkward fit for the tone and quality of your work. And thanks for taking the time to let us know about your decision, too.

Anonymous said...

It is your content that continually bring me back. I was a little put-off when I saw the pic last night of a woman looking like a street-walker. So, I was happy to read your comments about removing trashy ads from your site. I happily do click on ads specifically with the site-owner in mind. I will continue to click on your positive non-suggestive ads. Thanks for having maturity and a conscience.

dbsmall said...

It never bothered me (and, frankly, I don't even know what was over there...I focus on the middle column of content).

But the fact that you took this action is...telling. Respect.

Josh said...

It concerned me too, though I hadn't said anything about it yet. I think you made the right decision.

Dan said...

One could always tell by the quality and tenor of your blog you were a class act. You just proved it to the world!

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much, Gerard! I've been reading your blog for years now and it's been great that your posts have been so interesting and responsible.

I admit that I should have dropped you a note sooner about my concern over the questionable links. I had stopped showing your page to my young kids and I've happy to see you've removed the links. Bravo.

sandyra said...

Thank you. I didn't write to you about this issue but I had become aware that your site was becoming "trashy" with those links. Just my opinion, of course.

I had, in the past, clicked on to some of those links out of curiosity and was disappointed with the content at those sites. I'm glad they are gone.

So, thank you. It's nice to see your site making an effort to be more user friendly for most everyone. And thanks for telling us about your decision. You are a class act, sir. :)

Anita said...

I'd like to chime in with a thank you! As someone else mentioned, there were too many hoops involved to get to content that may or may not be what was advertised. When I get redirected more than once I start to suspect spam or a virus to enter the equation. Love your blog and will continue to subscribe.

Anonymous said...

Touche!

Anonymous said...

Rejoice!

Anonymous said...

Nice to see some integrity on the web. Well done and keep up the good work!

Tali said...

Thank you. While I wasn't offended per se they did seem odd. I read the site daily and I really appreciate your attention to your audience.

kdub_nyc said...

Thanks. I wasn't offended by them, but they did make your site look tacky.

NotMarian said...

Thank you for removing them. I noticed them and didn't really like them. But I just learned to ignore them. Still, it is very nice of you to get rid of them!

Anonymous said...

I have recommended your website to many friends with the disclaimer that it is kid friendly. Thank-you for keeping your standards above a desire for visitor count.

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Yet another reason why I come back to your blog everyday. You have my utmost respect.

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I'd rather sites I read regularly not get blocked by my overprotective IT department deeming them innapproprate content for work!

Anonymous said...

I agree with your decision as well. The links were trashy and deceptive, and did not add to your blog in any meaningful way. Good principled move.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard,
I agree with every single post above. You are a true professional for responding like this and you certainly won't suffer because of it. Those links were often misleading. And as I read above, they were looking tacky on my favorite website. Thanks for the countless hours you devote to your loyal readers!
Best regards,
Stanley

Anonymous said...

This change certainly classes up the place!

Pearl said...

I'm glad to hear they're gone. I didn't say anything but they looked like scraper/splog blogs.

Anonymous said...

All I can say is thank you.

Anonymous said...

Just like everyone else said
THANK YOU
Now I can once again read your blog without having to do it after the kids go the sleep :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I would just read your blog through an RSS reader, but now I can look at the real deal!

Barbwire said...

I always ignored them, but everybody else has it right. You're a class act, and the blog is better off without the trashy pictures.