Saturday 21 May 2011

Are You Ready For The Rapture?

image credit

Today there will be an earthquake. At 6pm local time. Not just a little one but an earthquake that will cause all of the graves all over the world to be thrown open.

Then, on October 21, the world will end for good. That at least is what Harold Camping, founder of Family Radio, a Christian broadcasting company based in California, says.

The most interesting question is what will happen to Harold Camping and his followers tomorrow, when they are faced with the bitter realization that their predictions of the Rapture and the Last Judgment are mistaken? How are they likely to react to their disappointment?

14 comment(s):

Anonymous said...

They'll just pick another date.

Cathy said...

Still alive, Gerard? Just checkin'.

Anonymous said...

I've already met my maker. She was with me 62 years. I miss her a lot. Hope to see her when it's my turn to pass. Now is not it. Still breathing and living as I see fit. Sorry to disappoint.

Anonymous said...

This nut missed a verse: Matthew 24:36-42 “No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father... Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come."

Anonymous said...

I wish I knew one of these nuts. I bet I could get a great deal on a used car, if not a house.

James said...

I hear that friends and relatives are trying to console him. A few were heard to say, “Don’t worry, Harold, it’s not the end of the world.”

Anonymous said...

How much you wanna bet he (and several of his followers) will commit suicide within the week? :(

Wordy said...

Eh, they'll say they prayed real hard and convinced God to change the Rapture to another day.

Agro said...

Well, it's 08:07 on Sunday the 22nd and I'm still here...

Anonymous said...

I wonder if Christians are embarrased that "rapture" failed to transpire. They shouldn't be. Us aethiests have always known it was all bollocks.

Up said...

Is the Icelandic vulcano part of the deal??

Anonymous said...

Don't drink the Kool-Aid!

Gareth said...

@Anonymous: "I wonder if Christians are embarrased that "rapture" failed to transpire. They shouldn't be. Us aethiests have always known it was all bollocks."

I'm a humanist but I think you're being a bit harsh on Christians here. We're dealing with a tiny sect here, not the whole of the Christian faith(s). I think the one thing you can be sure that Christians are embarassed about is that this idiot got them a lot of bad press.

As an atheist I'm kind of embarassed that there are people like you about shouting about their atheism. If you're going to go around spouting anti religious dogma at least do a little research. I don't believe in any deity, but I won't go railing against any religion unless I know the beliefs of that religion well enough to argue against them. Actually I get the feeling that you're not really an atheist, since it seems that you are against Christian beliefs and Christian churches rather than the existence of any deity. It's curious how many "atheists" seem to be full of venom against religion rather than secure in their own convictions.

Anonymous said...

RAPTURE DIDN'T FAIL! WE ARE ALL SINNERS AND WE'RE ALL GOING TO HELL! GOD FOUND NONE OF US WORTHY!

LMAO!