Tuesday 8 February 2011

No More Cassette Decks In New Cars


I thought that the last new car with a cassette deck left the factory years ago. Apparently in 2010 the Lexus SC430 still had that option. But that was the last one!
For all of you who were planning to pack up your oldies tapes and go shopping for a 2011 car, there is bad news: you're too late. According to experts who monitor the automotive market, the last new car to be factory-equipped with a cassette deck in the dashboard was a 2010 Lexus.

While it is possible that a little-known exception lurks deep within some automaker's order forms, a survey of major automakers and a search of new-car shopping Web sites indicates that the tape deck is as passé as tailfins on a Caddy.
(via J-Walk Blog)

4 comment(s):

Wizard said...

So I guess I better upgrade my 8 tracks.

Ima said...

Wow...I'm having flashbacks.

WordyGrrl said...

How sad. Another generation will not know "mix tapes". And no, Mix CDs or MP3s are not the same.

Anonymous said...

My 2003 Volvo's head unit had (and indeed has) both a CD player and cassette deck. I don't think the tape deck has ever been used. I couldn't see the point in 2003, I certainly can't now.

@WordyGrrl what's so wrong with making mix CD's? Hey these days a great gift is an MP3 player already loaded with your favourite mix.