Monday 22 November 2010

World's First Rock-And-Roll Song Identified

'That's All Right Mama' by Arthur Crudup is the world's oldest rock and roll song, according to Southeastern Louisiana University rock historian Joseph Burns, who also thinks this song could contain the first ever guitar solo break. The song is from 1946.

That's a bummer. Here I was thinking I was in possession of the oldest rock-and-roll song in the world. I have an original record called 'Drinkin' Wine, Spo-Dee-O-Dee' from 1947. It's sung by Granville Henry McGhee, better known as Sticks McGee.


The song dates from World War II and was later modified by brothers Granville and Brownie McGhee. According to a music dictionary this song was the earliest prototypical rock and roll song, and was covered by Jerry Lee Lewis and Mike Bloomfield's Electric Flag. I guess now the dictionary is wrong.

1 comment(s):

mister anchovy said...

I guess it all depends on your criteria. What makes a rock 'n roll song a rock 'n roll song? I'm sure the folks who recorded those tunes plus others like Ike Turner, who penned Rocket 88, had never heard of rock 'n roll because they were busy inventing it.