Saturday 27 November 2010

The Flying Steamroller

The Flying Steamroller by artist Chris Burden is a twelve ton steamroller that is attached to a pivoting arm with a counterbalance weight. The steamroller is driven in a circle until its maximum speed is reached. At the same time, a hydraulic piston is activated and pushes up the beam from which the steamroller is suspended, causing the steamroller to lift off the ground.



(thanks Cora)

4 comment(s):

Anonymous said...

I know I'm missing the point of this installation in saying this, but I just can't stop myself. It's not a steamroller - it's clearly diesel.

Anonymous said...

yes the point of this is whaaaaat?

soubriquet said...

I, too, keep muttering "dieselroller", however, I confess that I still think of all roadrollers by the name "steamroller".
Having seen real steam-rollers demonstrating their abilities at vintage steam-rallies, oh my! This would have been so much more fun done with the real thing. I wonder how the artist managed to get funding to do this? Because whist it's momentary fun, I'm not much impressed by it as art.

Anonymous said...

Yes, but is it art..?