Thursday 2 September 2010

The Resurrection Of The Commodore 64


The Commodore 64 was my second computer after I started with a TRS-80 Model I in 1977. The Commodore 64 was an 8-bit home computer introduced in January 1982. During the C64's lifetime, sales totaled 17 million units, making it the best-selling single personal computer model of all time.

Now, the Commodore 64 is set to make a commercial comeback in time for Christmas. New company Commodore USA is hoping to produce a machine with an almost identical chassis to the original C64, with the original, thick, chunky keys, off-white housing, and the striped rainbow logo, but using significantly upgraded internal parts.

2 comment(s):

Lorna said...

I still have (and use!) my C64 monitor. I was on the internet on my C64 in '95 with a fastlink cartridge and a 14.4k modem. Its true - I was a commodore geek.

..and yet.. Not seeing the big deal on this one. It's huge, it's ugly, unless it's the best computer EVER at the price .. I don't see it selling well.

WordyGrrl said...

I'm with you on that, Lorna. Gawd, I loved my C64, getting on BBS bulletin boards with that modem, the Lynx cartridge...And the thousands of bootleg games. And the ones I paid for like Ultima I through IV.

If it does turn out to be the best puter evar at a great price, I'd probably be on it like white on rice.