Sunday 22 August 2010

How Ancient Greek Statues Really Looked Like


Original Greek statues were brightly painted, but after thousands of years, those paints have worn away. Find out how shining a light on the statues can be all that's required to see them as they were thousands of years ago.

1 comment(s):

Dr. Cheryl Carvajal said...

Don't know that I like this... Sure, the colors are cool... but aren't they a bit gaudy? Kind of reminds me of the Catholic churches in Europe, since so many contain countless statues festooned with paint and jewels, all of it a bit overdone (for my tastes).

I suppose our modern aesthetic is just different. Except for teenage girls, most of us don't like rooms in psychedelic colors. I'd certainly consider having a replica of the gray version of the sculpture in my house... but not so much the painted one. Wonder what that says about me?