Thursday 7 January 2010

Ship Parking - You're Doing It Wrong

This seems like an accident but I don't think it is. I think this is a ship breaking yard and looking at the surroundings this could as well be in Chittagong, Bangladesh.



(thanks Cora)

3 comment(s):

Anonymous said...

Looks like the Old SS Norway that was scraped a few years ago. Renamed the Blue Lady when it was sold for scrap.

soubriquet said...

It's Alang, India, not Chittagong, I found another version of the same video, with a few words, not the SS Norway, That was beached a bit further out, i found pics of it, a sad sight...

What I was looking for was a bit more detail... They're winching. But is the ship on main engine power? I think so, you can see smoke, so I think they get it up to speed, and use the winch to do the finer aiming. They need, of course, to time it so it's at the very peak of high water on the highest tide of the month, because the further above the mean tide level, the more hours, the more days are available to dismantle it.
I didn't find the answer to my question, but i saw some sad images. Finnjet, once the worlds fastest ferry, 33.5 knots, from two Pratt and Whitney gas turbines, is now being broken at Alang.; she spent a while on the Missisippi, chartered as accommodation for Louisiana State University at New Orleans, after hurricane Katrina.
Now gone. 1977-2008, world's fastest conventional ferry. (modern multihulls are quicker, but this is a real ship).

Gerard said...

Thanks soubriquet, for the additional information.