Wednesday 14 October 2009

20 Utterly Pointless Kitchen Appliances


It seems that each year we are bombarded with even more, more, and yet more useless kitchen gadgets. Some are just cosmetic updates to classic gadgets, a precious few are genuinely innovative, but many more are just plain useless.

(thanks Danny)

7 comment(s):

Anonymous said...

I make Apple Pies for a living. I can tell you that the apple slicer you have pictured is not useless. Last year mine saved my company something on the level of 700 man hours.

surban said...

I make applesauce every fall and without my apple peeler/corer/slicer it would take me many more hours to get it done. The pictured gadget is one of the best buys I have ever made.

Unknown said...

I have one, and have rarely used it. But it is incredibly fun and makes apple-pie-making a snap.

Miss Cellania said...

Those apple peelers are VERY handy when you have bushels and bushels of apples to can for the winter! I put the kids to work peeling with it when they were too young to use knives.

Anonymous said...

I used my bread machine twice last week.

NotMarian said...

Let me add to the comments that say the apple peeler, corer, slicer is not useless. It IS useful. It's also fun, which is a great way to get kids to eat apples!

Richard said...

Though strange and seemingly unnecessary the apple peeler/corer is absolutely essential when you have lots of apples to peel at once. My wife often makes a delicious breakfast called a Dutch Apple Baby, which is cooked apples over a giant pancake. I like that breakfast and I like the time that the peeler saves her so she makes it for me.

The same goes for apple pies, and apple sauce. One might say that the apple peeler, corer slicer is as American as apple pie.

Folks often decry the complicated or one shot tools but job simplifying that are needed in cooking or carpentry. Until you have to perform the job without it or more than once. Suddenly trading hours of work for the space and money for the correct tool or jig becomes a very good trade.