Tuesday 2 December 2008

Smiley Moon

Presurfer reader Rik sent me this photo he took of a 'smiley face' moon yesterday. The picture was taken from Perth in Australia. He wonders what the stars are called that make up the eyes? Does anyone know?


Update: Rik informs me that someone told him the 'eyes' in the smiley face are Jupiter and Venus (Venus being the bright one).

8 comment(s):

Anonymous said...

Those are not stars, they are planets. Venus and Jupiter, to be exact. :)

It's a bit of a special event and many amateur astronomers have taken lovely photos of the event. Just google search "Moon Venus Jupiter" in Flickr and you'll see what I mean.

Anonymous said...

Hey! The moon is upside down!

Unknown said...

i noticed this last night as well and i'm in raleigh, NC :)

although it was.... upside down!

Anonymous said...

Yes, here in the U.S. it is "known" as the unhappy face. I was jealous to see that the southern hemisphere got the happy side.

Anonymous said...

fake

Anonymous said...

I'm in Houston. I saw Jupiter and Venus last week when I was flying in from another state.

Last night I went out to the back yard and saw the moon with Jupiter and Mars underneath.

Unknown said...

Definitely not fake. I'm in Australia.

Term paper said...

It looks so real. May be someone is happy behind the scene.