Sunday 17 August 2008

New Layout

Whoa, what's that?
It's still The Presurfer but I'm experimenting with a new layout with three columns. I like it, I hope you do too.

38 comment(s):

Michelle-aneous Musings said...

Kinda nice! I like the profile *AND* the categories right up top at the same time!!

Anonymous said...

Whoa -- I literally came across your site for the first time yesterday and overnight it's been remodeled. Good job -- I like the new layout too!

Barney said...

I've been reading the Presurfer every day for several years. I like the new look very much.
Barney

Andi said...

Very nice. I like it!

Anonymous said...

I don't want to get personal but I always had an aversion of pictures of heads. The layout is ok without the head. Get rid of it. The presurfer should be headless and impersonal. Only then it is a great site. Forget the head please. The presurfer could be a girl if you never showed the head in the first place, please drop it. Dropping the head would be a great feature and could bring more traffic. Heads are not good.

Anonymous said...

Your head does not match you content. It is a bad head.

Anonymous said...

agree with the bad head comment. otherwise decent change.
much obliged for neat posts and daily diversions. keep up the good work

Anonymous said...

I'm a bit of a minimalist, so I prefer the old version. This feels cluttered to me.

At least bring back the splotch instead of the windpresurfer.

Anonymous said...

I'd change the color of the Title, it doesn't go with the blue of everything else. I'd go with a bright orange or a dark blue. just an idea

Anonymous said...

I love it! Great choice.

Anonymous said...

This is the first place on the old bookmarks list, for the past couple of years. just logged in and wow. Looks good.

Anonymous said...

I like the new look! I've been a daily fan for years, I think this is the third (or fourth?) redesign of the Presurfer I've seen. I think the picture of your face is fine, although I have to ask, what's with the pixelated pic of the windsurfing?

Anonymous said...

Also, (I'm the previous anon), I agree with the anon who said to change the color of the title. I vote orange!

Anonymous said...

I'm loving the new look. Kudos, my good man! :)

Anonymous said...

>>what's with the pixelated pic of the windsurfing?
eh its the pre-surfer

Anonymous said...

oh and I don't really care abt the layout, since I 'know' the site,
but when I usually visit a new new site, I spend abt 10 seconds to discoverr the 'real' content of the site.
In my case a three column layout causes a bit of informatin overload.
In presufer ofcourse the 'about' part is right at the top

sitstaygoodboy said...

Agree with the off-with-the-head comments. I use the Remove It Permanently Firefox add-on to get rid of it. No offense, I just don't like you staring back at me.

Anonymous said...

It has a horrid low-quality image that makes it look very amateur. Plus it looks like My New Business' First Web Site.
Sorry but it's tacky and low-grade.

Unknown said...

Er... I don't really like the new layout, to be honest. It's got this horrible "Web 2.0" feel to it now, and I don't like that. Also, it's cluttered, you don't know straight away what to look at, the pixelization on the surfer image brings up memories of dial-up internet, and the whole site looks like some cheap site that advertises some Miracle Snake Oil product. It wouldn't stop me from coming here every day, and I guess I'll get used to it eventually, but if it were my first visit I'd go away never to return.

Anonymous said...

In the end the proof is in the pudding. Substance, more than makes up for style. I really don't come here for the layout. Love it, hate it, or in my case indifferent, what I am interrested in is front and center. All the rest is immaterial.

Gerard said...

OK, the head is gone.
The rest stays.

Miss Cellania said...

Wow! I just saw this for the first time. I think it's pretty!

Anonymous said...

I love it. I clicked on this morning and said, Whoa....when did this happen. I like the orange and blue and saying that the windsurfer does look nice since it has orange in it. I like the three columns as well. Great job, Gerard. I'm a loyal fan. Every morning you're the first blog I visit.
Jo

Table Mountains said...

makes no difference to us who are regulars.(but i do like it!)

Anonymous said...

Now you need to implement the Embedded Comment Form (like wordpress) and the relevant articles list, which is very important so give for your readers suggestion and access for your content. I suggest "Blogger in draft", you can find a great content there.
http://bloggerindraft.blogspot.com/2008/06/new-feature-embedded-comment-form.html

Unknown said...

I love it!!!

Anonymous said...

I like it very much! Change is good.

But, I too think the photo of the surfer (I get it) is too low quality, with all the pixels showing. My only suggestion would be to find a higher quality image for your front page - you deserve it!

Chad Cloman said...

I like it. By splitting the sidebar content into two parts, the page isn't so long. Much better.

Anonymous said...

I am a loyal reader and have one major problem with the new design: it's slow. In both Firefox (3.0.1) and IE (7.0) scrolling down with the mousewheel is either choppy or sluggish, depending on whether smooth-scrolling is off or on, respectively.
I agree with a previous commenter who said that we come here for the great content, not the aesthetic. IF you can fix the sluggishness problem, then this design is a fine way to display your great content. Otherwise, the previous design was better.
Thanks. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

simply a collection of tired design cleashe's....

Anonymous said...

3 thumbs up

Anonymous said...

I think i would like the new lay out better if it was different colors. It reminds me of a phone company in the states (At&t)

Anonymous said...

I really preferfed the minimalist version. The new layout looks okay, but the head is really out of place.

Anonymous said...

I liked the old, but the new loaded fast for me. Kill the javascript, (last comment lost because I couldn't post).

FCGrabo said...

Very nice style. It flows easily and it's easy on the eyes.

rhea delisle said...

Sweet!

Anonymous said...

Your blog is awesome. Really, AWESOME :-) The new look, however, isn't anywhere near that.

First, the header. That windsurf picture... It's unnecessary. The orange stripe underneath it is strange, there is some kind of bevel and rough edges. Please, please, pleease, get rid of them :)

If you really want a header, maybe you could keep a full horizontal one, without the angle. It would be simpler, more elegant, and would not draw attention away from your posts.

Your content has a life of its own. Let it shine :)

Ashley said...

Great NEW look! :)