Tuesday 29 July 2008

Cuil

In her two years at Google, Anna Patterson helped design and build some of the pillars of the company's search engine, including its large index of Web pages and some of the formulas it uses for ranking search results. Now, along with her husband, Tom Costello, and a few other Google alumni, she is trying to upstage her former employer.


Yesterday their company, Cuil (pronounced cool), unveiled a search engine that they promise will be more comprehensive than Google's and that they hope will give its users more relevant results. I think it will be better, Costello said in an interview. But there is no question that the public has to decide.

8 comment(s):

Anonymous said...

I tried cuil...it's proof that more is not always better.

Anonymous said...

In my country (Argentina) this word is associated to taxes , because it is the acronym for unique key of identification labor (something like this, search it in google!!!) Great blog

Anonymous said...

They're still new, but it'd be nice if they had content before going live. I typed in "What is the tallest mountain in the world?" and it gave back no results.

It'd be nice if a search engine existed that would just answer simple questions like that instead of making me search a bunch of webpages that probably have the answer because they contain the words "tallest", "mountain" and "world."

Anonymous said...

I don't care how big the index is, i care about the quality of the results i get and Cuil really looses here. They had to know that there results are bad, then the question is why did they launch at all?...

Newcastle Photos said...

I find it awful.
Let's hope it improves soon or it will surely disappear from my radar.

Gerard said...

I'm not particularly impressed either. When I search for my last name in Google, I get over 49,000 results.

When I search for my last name in Cuil, I get nothing.

Anonymous said...

Cuil? I'm sure they'll catch on in France.

Anonymous said...

i am using cuil before some days.guys was done grate job..i think after google they are on 2nd position