Sunday 26 August 2007

What Did She Just Say?

Question to Miss Teen South Carolina: A fifth of Americans can't locate the US on a map. Why do you think this is?

Answer: I personally believe that US Americans are unable to do so, because, uh, some... people out there in our nation don't have maps.

7 comment(s):

Miss Cellania said...

Funny, but not really a fair question. Here's my answer:

I don't have an opinion on why, because you've just presented me with a fact I've never heard before. Still, I'm disappointed that so many Americans can't read a map.

Anonymous said...

I also think it is not a fair question.

Not only that, but what have these kind of questions to do with a beauty contest?

Anonymous said...

A fifth of Americans!?? [Citation needed]

Dave said...

She had a blond moment.

Anonymous said...

One fifth? I should think it was at least 2/5ths of 'Murricans.

Anonymous said...

I'm having a very hard time believing that is true. Where did the contest organizers get that "fact"? I've looked for the poll in question, and can't find any reference to it on the Internet... except from this story.

If someone could show me where to read this poll, I'd appreciate it... but in the meantime, I'm going to assume that this was a fabricated statistic.

Anonymous said...

The statistic is actually involving pointing out their hometown on an unmarked map. Statistics are complete bollocks anyway. A world map? honestly...even I don't think America is capable of harbouring 60 million people who can't read a globe...are we including children less than 5 years of age here or just beauty pageant contestants...