Friday 24 August 2007

One Of My Sites Got Ripped Off

They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. But when that imitation goes as far as copying the complete content of one of my websites, including my email address and even using my name in the 'posted by Gerard' line, it's not flattery. It's a rip-off.

That's exactly what happened with my site The Generator Blog. The Generator Blog is a very well visited site (2,500 unique daily visitors on average).

Thanks to one of my readers my attention was drawn to a site called The Generator Kid. The site is maintained by someone called Karthik from India. Karthik copied the complete content of my site and only changed the template.

I can't contact Karthik directly since, like I said, he/she uses my email address. The comments system was als copied but doesn't work. I already contacted Google Blogger about this and they asked me to send them a written complaint.

18 comment(s):

Arevanye said...

That stinks, Gerard! What a hassle.

Anonymous said...

A written complaint? Do they mean as in "ink on paper"?


Hasselization Sequence Initiated.

Target: http://thegeneratorkid.blogspot.com

Begin.

Gerard said...

Yes, a written complaint, full of legal terms and stuff that I don't know anything about.

That's probably going to take weeks before this is solved.

Anonymous said...

How weird, and like why? What would someone get out of stealing your blog? I'm sorry that happened to you.

Unknown said...

Many hosts punish the site mirror practice. Click on the blogger navbar flag and see if it works.

czeltic girl said...

I had that happen to me recently, too, but with some schmuck in Arizona. Still hasn't been resolved. Really infuriating.

Anonymous said...

Strikes me that Karthik is quite the loser.

Anonymous said...

B&stard. Your devoted readers are with you, Gerard.

Unknown said...

Holy Crap! :-D

Unknown said...

Let's not be so quick to judge Karthik. Who's to say that wasn't his original work? Are you telling me that two artists have never unknowingly painted the same picture? Or that two songwriters on opposite sides of the earth have never penned the same lyrics? Seems to me, Gerard, that you can't handle the fact that an up and coming blogger from India has proven himself an intellectual rival!

Anonymous said...

Jacob, I highly doubt an 'up and coming blogger' would use Gerard's e-mail.

Anonymous said...

Jacob, I have the impression you don't really understand what's going on.

Not only did he copy the entire content, he also uses my email address, and my name.

If his name is Karthik then why does it say 'posted by Gerard' under every post?

Unknown said...

In Brazil the expression would be "KCT!"

Unknown said...

Just a little sarcasm, Gerard.

Anonymous said...

OK, Jacob. :)

Newcastle Photos said...

That sucks.
For what it's worth I clicked on the "Flag Blog" button in an attempt to get Blogger to check it out.

Anonymous said...

I also clicked flag blog on the impostor.

Anonymous said...

I have seen this many times before (exact copies of someone's blog), and I'm pretty sure it's a bot of some kind.