Tuesday 10 July 2007

Breaking Wind: Legendary Farts

Drawing near to his old home, Abu Hasan looked down upon it from the hills with brimming eyes, and said to himself, 'They might recognize me, so I will wander about the outskirts and listen to what people are saying. May Allah grant that they do not remember what happened.'

He listened carefully for seven nights and seven days, until it happened that, as he was sitting at the door of a hut, he heard the voice of a young girl saying, 'Mother, tell me what day was I born on, for one of my companions wants to tell my fortune.' The mother answered, 'My daughter, you were born on the very night when Abu Hasan farted.'

No sooner had Abu Hasan heard these words than he rose up from the bench and fled, saying to himself, 'Verily my fart has become a date! It will be remembered for ever and ever.'


Folktales about flatulance selected and edited by D. L. Ashliman.

(via Everlasting Blort)

0 comment(s):