Wednesday 2 May 2007

What's In A Name?

There are 301,742,435 people in the United States of America. If everyone in the U.S. lined up single file, the line would stretch around the Earth almost 7 times. That's a lot of people. The U.S. Census Bureau statistics tell us that there are at least 88,799 different last names and 5,163 different first names in common use in the United States. Some names are more common than others.

There are 49,828 people named John Smith, 1,054 people named James Bond, 114 people named Harry Potter , and 506 people named George Bush. However, there is no one with the same name as I have.


What about you? How many people share your name?

3 comment(s):

Anonymous said...

It said that I am the only person with my name. I know that's not true, because when I Google my name I find other people in the U.S. with the same name, same spelling.

Anonymous said...

My mother doesn't exist. The legal ramifications!

Michael said...

There are 181 people named Mike Hunt, but alas, none named Harry Balz.