Friday 30 March 2007

Memories Keep Him Close

Here's a story that will bring tears to your eyes.
The Chicago Tribune posted excerpts from the final letter from U.S. Army Captain Michael MacKinnon to his wife and two young children. Captain MacKinnon lost his life in Iraq on October 27, 2005, when a bomb exploded near his Humvee.


To his daughter Madison:

Madison, I'm sorry I broke my promise to you when I said I was coming back. You were the jewel of my life. I have to tell you that you really broke my heart that day when I left and you said, 'don't go, I need my daddy, I don't want my daddy to go.' I nearly cried in front of all the army guys.

If you can do any thing for me, you can take school seriously and do well. With a good education you can become anything you want. Stay away from drugs, they will ruin your life. Finally, stay away from bad men. You deserve too much. I don't think anyone would ever be good enough for you. Stay beautiful, stay sweet. You will always be daddy's little girl.


Here's a PDF document of Captain MacKinnon's letter.

2 comment(s):

Anonymous said...

I saved a copy of this.

These are words to live by, a guideline in becoming a better person.

Captain Micheal MacKinnon US Army, where ever you are...you are my hero.

Anonymous said...

Oh brother. He went voluntarily, HE did that to his daughter, no one else. I'm so sick of "feel good" stories about these fools.