Wednesday 13 March 2013

Argentinian Jorge Mario Bergoglio Elected Pope

image credit: Aibdescalzo

Argentine cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio has been elected the Roman Catholic Church's new Pope. The first non-European Pope in 1,300 years will call himself Francis I. He has served as the Archbishop of Buenos Aires since 1998. He was elevated to the cardinalate in 2001. Pope Francis I is 76 years old.

Update: On the day of his election, the Vatican clarified that his official papal name was Francis, not Francis I. A Vatican spokesman said that the name would become Francis I if and when there is a Francis II. Also thanks to some readers who pointed me to this.

1 comment(s):

Anonymous said...

Not Francis I, but just Francis. He is going to be Francis I when a new pope called Francis II is elected.