Monday 7 May 2012

What Really Happens When You Swallow Your Gum?

image credit

You've heard the warnings: If you swallow gum, it will stay in your digestive system for nearly a decade. Which would mean there's a decent chance you've got some hanging out in your gut right now.

If you look at its ingredients - a delicious mix of indigestible compounds - it certainly seems possible. And if you look at the medical books, swallowed gum has caused some serious problems. Is it possible that your mom's crazy warnings were right?

(via Look At This...)

2 comment(s):

holymotherofgod said...

Your timing is hilarious =P I just "ate" 2 packages of Hubba Bubba a couple days ago which arguably is one of the softest disolvable chewing gum on the market. I can never eat it like gum simply because the stuff always dissolves in my mouth and waddyado! I swallow it! Can't say I have ever had an adverse effects from doing so, although my friends always laugh and wag their fingers at me for doing so. But I'll let you know if anything happens =)

Gareth said...

I recall a neighbour's kid once swallowed a marble. His mother took him to hospital where they told her to wait a while and to carefully examine every stool he passed. If the marble hadn't turned up within three days they told her to return to the hospital for further examination. It turned out the second visit wasn't necessary as the marble turned up in the bowl.

If something so totally indigestible as a marble will simply pass through the human digestive system, I'm sure it will have no trouble with gum.