Wednesday 7 December 2011

Kookaburra Calls

The Kookaburra - sometimes referred to as the Laughing Jackass - is an Australian member of the kingfisher family of birds. It makes a loud, harsh noise resembling raucous human laughter.



YouTube link

(thanks Cora)

8 comment(s):

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and haunting! Thanks for this - I've always wondered what they sounded like.

Monkey106 said...

That's the first time I've heard them referred to as "the laughing jackass" and I'm an Australian!

Dave said...

I've known it to be called "laughing jackass" for 50 years, and I'm Texan.

Skywalker said...

I like to think that he's laughing at the current financial crisis of the western world....!!

Anonymous said...

@Dave - well there you go! Must be a US thing...

Anonymous said...

And can laugh to the tune of Down under by Men at Work.

Monkey106 said...

Funny story about Kookaburras - one of my friends was eating a lamb chop on his verandah (using a fork), then a kookaburra flew down and stole his lamb chop AND the fork in one hit.

Anonymous said...

A kookaburra stole my pork chop, does not sound as impressive as a Dingo stole my baby, but at least you won't go to jail over that.